Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A trip to the market

The hideously hot and muggy weather we've been having finally broke. This mercifully means that "I'm going to the grocery store" is no longer synonymous with "I'm only walking two blocks  to the grocery store because I love you and I realize we've been completely out of food for three days, so please have an ice bath waiting for me when I get back because I'm going to start sweating prolifically the moment I walk out the door."

In light of this miraculous meteorological shift, Brian, his co-worker Anne and I wandered the town Saturday afternoon. First we hit a park and the pedestrian shopping streets, where I showed them a  store selling clothes intended for export that didn't meet quality standards. This wasn't quite the success I'd hoped--apparently we're still giants by export standards. We bought the only two XXXL shirts in the entire store for Brian and I found three cute men's large t-shirts  for myself. I wonder if people think I look masculine wearing them--I know Brian would kill me if I was able to find them in his size!


Mahjong at the park. Quite the spectator sport!


Grandmas practicing Tai Chi

Chinese yoyo guru!
Later we found a farmer's market not too far from home.
Amazingly, it didn't have any of the stench that we've become accustomed to in the meat and fish department at the grocery store. The sights were amazing, and the vendors seemed equally intrigued to see foreigners in their market. (It's amazing how different my gut reaction to the incessant staring is if it comes with a friendly smile!) I definitely plan on going back! I'm not sure how much meat I'll buy, but what an amazing classroom for me to practice my Chinese!


Indoor farmer's market
The black chicken is a silkie.
To quote wikipedia:
The black meat of a Silkie is generally considered an unusual or unpalatable in European and American cuisines. In contrast, several Asian cuisines consider Silkie meat a gourmet food.


You choose your fish from tanks and they clean it on the spot



All sorts of dried mushrooms

All sorts of rice & some beans
Dried mushrooms, seaweed, dates, herbs, noodles, eggs...





No idea....



Eels


4 comments:

  1. I've seen hair nets, bird nets, fish nets but NEVER frog nets! Don't you kind of want to let them loose? Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did! I have a photo of a turtle that almost made an escape, but the hole he'd managed to make just wasn't quite big enough. We all watched and rooted for him for a short while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often worry that the one reason I'll never be able to travel to China is their food. Because the majority of that stuff I would rather not put in my mouth. And by rather not, I mean, I'd rather starve. You are so brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never think for a second I buy our food there! I go to a proper grocery store which still has plenty of unusual foods and smells! I have yet to get used to raw, unpackaged meat that everyone rifles through with their bare hands!

      Delete