Monday, May 23, 2011

A knitwit abroad


I came to China with a stash of yarn big enough to complete several projects--plenty to keep me busy for months I thought. Well, without a 9-5 job, it lasted all of about 6 weeks. So I've had fun exploring the indoor flea markets of Jiangyin in search of yarn. So far I've found 5 or 6 different yarn "stalls," the one in the photo below being the largest so far. This past weekend I was actually able to say how many skeins and what colors I needed in Chinese! And be understood! (Thus another upswing on the learning-Chinese-is-fun-versus-impossible roller coaster.)


While they don't have any of the luxurious yarns I'd drool over back in the States, they sure do use some interesting fibers: ferret, marten, and even CORN! And wow, the prices are absolutely unbeatable! But then there are the knitting needles--most of the needles I brought with me are stamped "Made in China." Yet if I want to buy needles here, it's about the equivalent of going out and breaking a twig off a tree and peeling the bark off of it--just a tad bit warped and snaggy.

My current local stash--apparently I'm in a bit of a color rut!


6 comments:

  1. Leslie, You are amazing! Love your zest for a COLORFUL life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn! Every day seems to be an adventure as soon as I walk out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda S.May 23, 2011

    Yay! A yarn post... just what I've been waiting for. Congratulations on your language feats... I really am seriously impressed. How does ferret yarn feel?? Let us know if you need needles sent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda! Ferret yarn feels fantastic--like cashmere! So far I'm okay on needles--I'll let you know if I need any in the future--thanks for the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this little "a year ago" thing going on at the bottom of your newer blog posts so I can relive your past adventures! Also, I didn't know anything about yarn this time last year, and know I do! So while re-reading this post I was also drooling over the yarn. So jealous!! Of you in the yarn store and that we can't craft together. :(

    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a commenting fiend today! I LOVE it! Thanks for noticing--I thought it would be fun to see how far we've come! The yarn here is so cheap, but I still went crazy back home in November because you just can't get the good stuff here! Our next pajama party skype date can be a crafting date! MWAH!

      Delete