Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chinese Potpourri

I've been keeping a list of things I wanted to write about here on Ovenless, but none of them were long enough to stretch in to an entire post. So here's a smattering of memorable moments....


Stella on a huge explosion of fireworks in our apartment complex: "Someone's dead or getting married. You need those for both."
She said this so deadpan, it struck me as hilarious.

 __________


The members of the CSL Tai Tai Club have joined a gym for a whopping $12 a month. I bet your gym doesn't have this:

That's right. A smoking lounge in the lobby for those who want to wheeze a bit more on the treadmill.

Jealous much? I didn't think so. The other tai tais both smoke and even they find this ridiculous.

__________


I've learned you can't cook coffee cake in a cheapo countertop oven. It will just froth and boil over. This is a photo AFTER Brian scooped out mounds of batter from the bottom.


__________


I made my first phone call spoken entirely in Chinese! Granted, it was brief, but after practicing with Stella, I picked up the phone and said:

为。 你 号。 我 要 两 通水。 我 家 在 丽都 城市 花园 一百零八 庄 二零三。再 说 一边?等 一 下。
Okay, then yes, I handed the phone to Stella because the woman asked a question and after asking her to repeat it, my brain turned off. Idiot me--all she was trying to do was repeat what I said to confirm my order, with just a few too many new words thrown in. When she repeated it again to Stella, she had my order exactly right! I consider it a successful phone call!

__________

Sunday night we took Stella to Turkish Delight, our favorite restaurant in town. (I should take photos next time--life changing lamb chops and hummus!) Afterwords, I put my life in her hands.


While I don't think twice about riding with my dad on his Harley (with helmets!), I was really nervous to hop on considering the insane driving we've observed here. Luckily, it was just a short trip in light traffic and I live to blog another day. I know you're all relieved.

3 comments:

  1. IT LOOKS LIKE STELLA IS LOVING EVERY BIT THE IDEA OF SHOWING YOU THE ROPES--DARLING PICTURE! IF SHE EVER VISITS THE USA DAD WILL HAVE TO TAKE HER ON A REAL BIKE RIDE! LOVE, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, Impressive Chinese, two month from now on i hope i can steal that post =) Im allowed to hope right?

    The photo of you and Stella is just super funny... You are one brave thing, i don't know if i would EVER jump on a motorized "thing" here without a roof and doors to protect me =) hehe..

    *Anne*

    ReplyDelete
  3. $12 for a gym membership is amazing! Also, nice scooter!

    ReplyDelete