Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy New Year, Again!

Spring Festival (aka Chinese New Year) starts on Monday and Jiangyin is already becoming a ghost town as people start the mass exodus out of town to see their families. We're jumping on the bandwagon tomorrow as we make our first trip to Beijing and then continue on to South Korea courtesy of our 30 day visas. We'll be in Beijing for 4 days, staying at a hutong inn which should give us a glimpse of "Old Beijing." All the usual tourist suspects are on our list--the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, the Great Wall (hopefully covered in snow?!), eating Peking duck, scouring the famous Dirt Market trying to discern trinkets from treasures, ice skating at Shichahai, seeing a traditional Peking Opera performance, and of course, the Beijing Museum of Tap Water. Phew! I'm sure there's no way we'll squeeze it all in!

Then we're off to South Korea to... I actually don't know where! We're flying to Busan because it is the cheapest flight out of the country we could find. But our best friends here in Jiangyin are actually from a city near Busan and happen to be home on their vacation. So it works out perfectly for us to stay with them for two days and get the official insider's tour. I can't wait!

So "Xinnian Kuaile!" and I'll see you all in the New Year! (Which I learned last night at our Chinese lesson, means I'm soon to be 33! ouch! But as soon as I'm south of the Yangtze I'll be 32, which is a little better, yet so strange!)

Fingers crossed for snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment