Sunday, October 23, 2011

Frosting 101

What's the best way to practice writing Chinese characters?

In frosting of course! (I can't believe I haven't thought of this before!)

In the parks around town we'll see people of all ages practicing characters with massive paint brushes and water.



To practice with frosting, all you need is a Chinese colleague of your husband's who wants to learn how to cook. At her request, this afternoon we made bruschetta, spaghetti carbonara, and two cakes. Yes, two. Xu Li is my kind of gal! We took the chocolate cake out of the oven and then she asked if we could also make the yellow cake I'd made for Brian's birthday. How could I say "no?" Someone who is eating, let alone making, cakes for the first time has to be given the opportunity to decide if she's a chocolate cake or yellow cake kind of gal, right?! Thank goodness we ran out of time, so I couldn't show her how to make mashed potatoes. I thought living in China would be a much needed diet by default for me, but it has unfortunately proved otherwise. Oops!

My go at Xu Li's name


Xu Li's maiden voyage in frosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment