Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thanks Dad!

Today, after 35 years, my dad is retiring from his veterinary practice. When I was young, I loved riding around with my dad on weekend farm calls because I was usually guaranteed to see an adorable litter of puppies, a new foal, or sometimes even get to sit atop a horse while dad tended to a sick animal. While I absolutely love these memories, it's the lessons that dad was quietly teaching me that I treasure even more today.



Grin and Bear It
All of our teddy bears got annual inoculations.  I'm not kidding. We'd make a trip to Dad's clinic, where syringes would be waiting. Dad went all out. It wasn't "for pretend" without the needle, nor was the syringe empty. He'd fill it up (with water I now assume) time and time again until all our teddies were sure to be safe from illness for the coming year. (This particularly came in handy when our dog decided my sister's bear needed rhinoplasty--no risk of rabies in our household!). Really it's so simple--dad made something scary, fun. And so as long as I can remember, I really haven't minded getting shots. And good thing, because boy, did we have to get a lot to move to China!
 
It's the Great Pumpkin!
It was Halloween, and I was 7 years old at best, because we were still living in our first house. Mom and Dad were in the process of building a back deck on the house, where I was happily carving my enormous pumpkin. My masterpiece completed, I lassoed my arms around it, and watched in horror as it slipped out of my arms, over the yet to be installed railing, and splattered a few yards below. I can still remember how devastated I was. How I went unintelligibly gurgling with remnants in hand to Mom and Dad. I also remember thinking it was so unfair that it didn't happen to Darcy's pumpkin as well--ahhh sisters. So what does Dad do? He drops everything, runs out to his truck to get needles and sutures and STITCHES MY PUMPKIN BACK TOGETHER. With a little bit of sweet-talking, by the time he was done, Dad had successfully convinced me that my intimidating Scarface Pumpkin was the coolest pumpkin on the block. I don't know about the pumpkin, but my dad sure was! Just goes to show you, don't go crying over spilt pumpkins!

 I could tell so many more stories, about how dad was at always at every concert, every volleyball and basketball game. How he built his work schedule around our horseback riding lessons so he could trailer us back and forth. How he slept in the barn when my horse Crystal got sick. How he used his job to make science fun for my sister and me. How he greets all our pets with "hi Worthless," and yet it is one of the most endearing things I've ever heard.


When it comes down to it, dad, I'm so glad you were a veterinarian. It makes me so proud to clearly see how much passion you have for your work, and how exceptional you are at it. Better yet, I'm so glad you're my dad.

Happy retirement Dad. You deserve it so.
Love, D1



Building the BEST playhouse--with electricity and slide escape!
Assembling a military-grade slingshot

 


2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 30, 2011

    What an amazing post. Leslie you are truly an amazing person, not to mention daughter. Thanks for sharing your memories with the rest of us. I can't imagine how proud your dad is of you. I hope he enjoys his retirement. Tammy Ready

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy--it was such an easy post to write. I'm one lucky girl. My parents are loving retirement--they're on vacation this very moment.

    ReplyDelete